Boat Shoes, especially leather Sperrys, are a icon of American fashion. They are perfect shoes to put on and relax with. They give a relaxed and comfortable, yet classic and refined look to everyone who wears them. But how do you clean your leather shoes when they get dirty?
Through the working hard and playing hard that Sperrys go through, they take a lot of abuse. Despite the expensive price tag and authentic leather, Sperrys are often some of the most well-loved yet abused leather shoes that people own. Despite the love of wearing Sperrys, many people fail to clean their Sperrys. Due to this, Sperrys often become dirty and stink, resulting in them becoming the forgotten shoe at the bottom of the shoe pile. Even though it may look difficult, cleaning your leather Sperrys is far easier than you probably thought.
We washed these Sperrys, and it cleaned them in and out!
Sweet, Sweaty Sperrys
One of the main contributing factors to the stink of Sperry shoes is the unignorable fact that many people wear their Sperrys without socks! It should also be noted that Sperrys are primarily a summer shoe, and that in the hot conditions of summer time, the feet sweat. And knowing that there are 2 million sweat glands in your feet, the problem worsens exponentially. Because authentic leather comes from animal hide, it has a natural tendency to soak up liquids that it comes in contact with, and maintain the odor and feel of whatever liquid it has absorbed. This becomes a problem when that liquid is human sweat.
While sweat is often a sign of hard work (again, working hard and playing hard), the effects of sweat in a shoe can be catastrophic for both your shoe and your foot. Sweat in and of itself is not the main offender in offensive odor. The main offensive in odor lies with the bacteria that the sweat mixes with. When sweat mixes with bacteria, the bacteria feeds on the sweat, and the excrement the bacteria secretes is what causes horrible odors. And for those that work hard and play hard, that is something that you want to fix as soon as possible
How to Clean Leather Sperrys
Nearly every owner of a pair of Sperrys has suffered from this problem at some point in their Sperry owning lifetime. Everyone has worn their Sperrys on a summer date, only to come back and become aware of the odor their feet and shoes were emitting. Never to fear though – it is possible to clean your Sperrys in such a way that the fear of odor will diminish greatly.
Leather Clean was created as a safe and effective alternative to leather cleaning. Traditional leather cleaners use harsh chemicals that are not safe for the environment, and endanger the integrity of the leather. Leather Clean, on the other hand, works as a deep cleaning shampoo – and it does a great job at cleaning leather Sperrys. The liquid nature of Leather Clean allows it to give a deep, penetrating clean to leather. The result is a clean, fresh pair of Sperrys.
How Deep Will You Go?
To clean a pair of Sperrys, you must first decide how deep of a clean you would like.
- If you would like a quick, 1 minute clean, then you can simply use Leather Clean as a spray to spritz 3-4 sprays to the inside of your shoes, and then wipe down with a rag. Your feet, shoes, and girlfriend will thank you for taking the time to do this.
- If you would like a slightly deeper clean, you may use Leather Clean as a liquid applicant, by wetting a rag and wiping down either the inside and/or outside of your shoes. By doing this, you’ll be applying Leather Clean in a greater quantity, and thus experiencing more of the cleaning benefits of Leather Clean
- If you would like the completely immersive cleaning experience of Leather Clean, you may use it to prepare a type of bubble bath for your shoes. By mixing Leather Clean with the appropriate amount of water, you create a leather friendly environment for your shoes to experience a completely safe and super powerful clean.
Purchasing a pair of Sperrys is an investment. They are built to last, and are built to keep up with you on your adventures. With that said, here are a couple tips to preserve your Sperrys
If they get wet, let them dry completely. Nothing is worse than mold growing in your shoe. If that is the case, you can wash it completely out.
Don’t let them rest in direct sunlight. Sunlight cracks leather, and is a sure way to dry out your leather sperrys.
Don’t Throw them Away! People throw away shoes for a couple of reasons. Here are the reasons, and how you can avoid them:
- They rip. This rarely happens with Sperrys though
- They get stained. Sperrys and their leather nature are rather easy to clean.
- They stink too bad to wear. With a cleaner like Leather Clean, this is an easy fix.
For more information about how to keep your leather shoes clean, and to purchase a bottle of Leather Clean for your very own Sperrys, visit www.Leather-Clean.com and use the coupon code: SPERRY10 to get an additional 10% off your order